The Town Hall


Segovia’s Town Hall was designed by Pedro de Brizuela, local architect who also worked in the renovation works of the Alcazar, following orders of Francisco de Mora, and in the design of San Frutos door in the Cathedral.

In 1609  he was hired to  undertake the edification project of the Town Hall, and two years later, he handed over the design of this building as well as the new plans of the Main Square. Only the north side of Brizuelas' project was finished.


This project, highlights the presence of the Town Hall, which stands out among the others due to the Herrerian style granite front, in sharp contrast with the nearby façades made in brick. The porticoed gallery in the front entrance also makes a difference from the rest along with the towers crowned by slate spires at both sides of the building.

In February 1994, the Town Hall was restored following local architect Federico Coullaut Valera's project which finished in 1996.

The project had a budget of 430 million pesetas, and it was founded jointly by the regional and the local Government.

The Conference Hall

This room has been the Plenary Hall until the last restoration's works. Nowadays, it is used as  a Conference and official receptions hall. Some medallions, made by Coullaut Valera in 1972, representing Juan Bravo, Diego de Colmenares and Andrés Laguna, decorate the walls.

The White Hall

It is the most important and sumptuous room in the building, where illustrious visitors and authorities are received. It is decorated in Isabeline style, being its walls covered with stucco imitating the effect of marble. The overhead view painting represents the conquest of Madrid by Segovian troops commanded by the captains Díaz Sanz de Quesada y Fernán García de la Torre. This work was made by Antonio García en 1854, moment in which important renovation works were made in the building. The decoration is completed with portraits of queen and consort: Isabel II and Francisco de Asís, painted by Madrazo.

Next to the White Hall, in a small rounded room covered by a dome decorated with pompeian paintings, we find a richly decorated lavatory.

The Chimney room

Following the need to extend the administrative offices, it was necessary to buy the adjoint buildings to the Town Hall. The ancient chimney that gives the name to this room and the skirting board belong originally to the laboratory that occupied this place before and which has preserved the original decoration. The walls are covered by paintings made by local artist Santos Sanz.

The Plenary hall

The last renovation works made in the Town hall date back to 1998. Their Majesties presided over the inauguration. During these renovations works a more modern and functional Assembly Hall was built, with a shape of a hemicycle.


Subscribe to our weekly newsletter